Apr 8, 2010

Life is an Airport

There is something beautiful about airports. Whenever I step upon a tarmac, I feel all giddy and excited inside. It's nice to feel like you are going somewhere where new experiences await or going back to the place you love. At the airport, people feel welcomed, loved ones are awaited, strangers get ready for a time of adventure.

Airports facilitate our comings and goings. The in-between, the waiting to fly, makes it all worth it when your time arrives.

In many ways, life is a journey. We must keep on moving on, growing. Travel allows us to do that. It helps us understand what matters most. The preparation for travel allows us to take only what we need (or else we suffer from the consequences of excess baggage or the frustration of having to carry heavy stuff we can do without). Travel helps us to take stock. And in a lot of ways, heals us. We begin to consider the things we take for granted and remember those who mean most to us. Travelers, I believe, learn to live their lives wiser, to choose better, to risk more, to open their minds without losing their core (identity).

In lonely times, when I am wanting a friend to talk to, I just dream of places I long to see, new friends yet to meet, and new adventures to discover and I feel better.

I have a map of the world in my room, which I turn to when I feel sad or bored and just want to expand my sense of earth. I dream of traveling and meeting new people, immersing in cultures, writing about them. I want to describe God's magnificent creation, the diversity and uniqueness of it all, taking the time to talk to people, touching the trees, mesmerized by the sea.

I hope someday my dreams will turn into tarmac and geography into faces and fellow travelers sharing the wonders of the world.

No comments: