Sep 20, 2009

Run for Love

Today, I ran 5 kilometers for Enervon Prime's marathon to benefit Hands on Manila, an organization in the Philippines which moblizes individuals wanting to volunteer and extend a helping hand to charities and non-profits.

What makes runs like these special is that you run for a purpose and that gives marathons a whole new meaning.

I was so excited that I only slept for 3 hours, not a very good idea I know! I was scared I was off to a bad start. Thankfully though, I survived. In a way, the run was like a small victory for me, as I finished the race on borrowed rubber shoes (thanks Acel:) in under 40 minutes, a goal I set for myself. The first to cross the finish line was at 15 minutes and 5 seconds. He was a breeze. I wish I could run like that.

But I am happy to report about my progress because two years ago, I ran a 10 kilometer fun run for 2 gruelling hours at the Gawad Kalinga-Adidas King of the Road race. When I finally reached the end, everyone was already busy doing their own thing, mindless that there are still people limping their way in.hehe. I was the second to the last to reach the finish line. It was a very humbling experience in which I learned a lot.

To be honest, there were so many times in that race that I wanted to give up or to take the shortcut but I knew I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. What kept me going was remembering the reason why I was doing it in the first place. It was because we were running for love.

We were running for those who were losing hope and those who could not run for themselves because of poverty. I know, life can be tough. But it is even tougher for those who have nothing short of a foundation in which to begin a dignified life. In a way, we run to lend our strength. A means to be in fellowship with those who suffer, to show by example that there is a path to hope. Together, as my brother's keeper, we could finish the race of life no matter how difficult. It has been proven that at the end of it all, our efforts would not be in vain. Lives restored, even if only one, would make all the sacrifice worth it. For this, I ran. For them, I sought to finish the race.

The work of nation building and development (and life in general) is one of endurance. The key is to persevere and to always keep your vision in mind. We must keep moving forwad but also not leave the poor behind on the way to progress and our personal pursuit of happiness and success. We need to give one another a chance to succeed. Walang Iwanan.

Today, I remembered Tatay Sergio, GK Libmanan's very own village haircutter. His face kept popping into my head. The sufferings he has endured throughout his life inspired me to keep moving forward.

Now at last he can breathe in the beauty that he so rightfully deserves because there were heroes who journeyed to his community and chose to also carry his burden, gave him a good home, a pair of sharp scissors, and a concrete source of hope that things were possible, that heaven has not abandoned them...

On the final lap as exhaustion began to set in and the lack of sleep began to take its toll, a song came out of nowhere and found itself on my mouth and I sang to myself: "Prepare the Way...(by Darrel Evans)." Time is clicking away and it is time to make a difference when the mind is still sharp and the body is capable.

Life is a race. Life is more meaningful though when you have someone to run it for. Dear friend, always run for love and don't give up because someone needs you in this world.

See http://gkieadvocate.blogspot.com for more meaningful runs.

No comments: