Jul 1, 2011

Mid-Year Report

It's 1 in the morning and I am still up. I am kind of glad it is July. The half of  2011 has passed us by so quickly. 


So far 2011 has been really good to me in terms of experiences and goals being met. I am halfway through a personal writing project which I hope to turn into a book come November which is a dream of mine for a very long time. I'm finding myself also in the midst of starting a business which I pray will succeed but we're taking baby steps. 


I am grateful to God that He has helped me to balance work and friendships this year. I think I'm getting used to having these one-on-one conversations over coffee. I've been listening a lot and getting to know people in a very personal way. 


I'm also getting out of my shell and becoming more of who I truly am. I still have so much to learn. I hope to use all the gifts that heaven has given me and be a good steward. I still need heaps of self-discipline though. I rely on grace for the most part.


I believe in the saying, "Clarity of purpose is clarity of soul." Sometimes I get distracted and I have to bring myself back on track again. Thank God for new beginnings and second chances. Every day is a new day to start anew. I have to tell myself to keep moving forward.


I'm happy to note that I've gone to all the events (weddings, in particular) that I have been invited to so far. I consider it a real feat because sometimes it's been quite challenging. But I am learning to keep my word no matter how difficult and I am glad too that I was able to witness these special occasions for it keeps the heart hopeful and the spirit renewed.


I long to grow more in the next half of the year and with all my heart hope to complete all the things I have set out to do. I also pray for the courage to go to where I am called, to venture into the unknown, to go out of my comfort zone. To be true to my purpose and not to lose sight of what matters most. 


These three questions developed by John Maxwell have been particularly helpful. He shares that before deciding where to invest his time, he asks himself the 3R's of Decision-Making. The following are adapted from his book, Today Matters:


1.  What is REQUIRED of me?
"Any realistic assessment of priorities in any area of life must start with a realistic assessment of what you must do. For you to be a good spouse or parent, what is required of you? To satisfy your employer, what must you do? If you lead others, then what must you personally do that cannot be delegated to anyone else? "


2.  What gives me the greatest RETURN?
"As you progress in your career, you begin to discover that some activities yield a much higher return for the effort than others. After determining requirements, focus on choices with a high return on investment."


3. What gives me the greatest REWARD?
"If you do only what you must, along with what is effective, then you will probably be highly productive. But you may not be content. I think it’s also important to consider what gives you personal satisfaction."


But I would like to add a valuable insight I learned today from  a friend and entrepreneur, Reyna Tio, owner of Creative Styles on Shapes Inc., who pointed out something important.

"No matter how much our toil, if God does not bless it, we will only be grasping winds."



She adds, "I do agree that we ought to do the steps now that would lead us to achieve what we hope for in the future. But more than this, I also believe that God is the ultimate author, the beginning and the end. The finisher of our fate. What would be best though is to ask God to align our plans, hopes, dreams and efforts to HIS will and plan."

It is the true secret to success. I think it's the best advice I've heard today that will guide me to right path in the coming months. May God bless the plans of our hearts and the work of our hands.

No comments: